Whilst conducting research into different materials and processes, looking into what they are, what they do and contemporary uses for them, I stumbled across a designer who used upvc straws painted in polyeurethene paint to create 3d structures and models. I found the work quite inspiring, and have decided to investigate it further by experimenting using techniques that would achieve the same outcome. Obviously I could replicate the work seen in the sculptures, however I feel it would be more beneficial to investigate the methods used and develop my own through experimentation, to come up with something similar, but not the same, and get there in a different way. I believe that the UPVC structures I found are a lot larger than the modelling you will see on this board, as I will be using party straws as oppose to the UPVC pipes seen in the models.

PVC Structures, click to view



Adv: Very cheap, see through
Dis: Difficult to bond unless double sided, see through but still visible


Adv: …None?
Dis: Too chunky, very visible, impossible to combine more than two/three at a time in any kind of orderly fashion

Pritt stick

The first adhesive I used was an ordinary glue stick. This was probably the cheapest next to string out of the adhesives I chose. Applying the glue was easy. However, getting two straws to stick together and stay stuck together was not. The glue was weak even when dry, and getting to a dry state took so long that it wouldn’t be worth using it if I was constructing a model out of this material.

Adv: , easy to apply, cheap, invisible when dry
Dis: Quite a weak bond

Super glue

Adv: incredibly strong bond, invisible when dry
Dis: potential to glue everything to your fingers, expensive compared to the alternatives

Here is the board based on my findings: